Geneva — Trilateral talks involving Russia, Ukraine, and the United States, aimed at ending Moscow’s war in Ukraine, have concluded without a major breakthrough, officials confirmed on Wednesday.
The negotiations, held in Geneva, extended late into Tuesday and resumed briefly on Wednesday, lasting approximately two hours. Despite earlier optimism expressed by U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff, officials from both Russia and Ukraine described the discussions as difficult.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky said the talks were “not easy” due to fundamental differences between the two sides, while Russia’s chief negotiator Vladimir Medinsky described the discussions as “businesslike” but challenging.
Following the formal talks, Medinsky returned to the venue for a closed-door meeting with the Ukrainian delegation that lasted approximately 90 minutes. No official details were released, although a Ukrainian diplomatic source said limited progress was made on military-related issues, including front-line positioning and ceasefire monitoring mechanisms.
However, major disagreements remain unresolved, particularly over territorial issues. Russia has maintained its demand for full control of Ukraine’s eastern Donbas region, comprising Donetsk and Luhansk — a position Ukraine has firmly rejected. Officials acknowledged that without progress on territorial questions, a ceasefire agreement remains unlikely.
Ukraine’s Defence Minister Rustem Umerov said the talks were “substantive and intensive,” adding that while progress was made, details could not be disclosed at this stage. “This is complex work that requires alignment among all parties and sufficient time,” he noted.
President Zelensky accused Russia of deliberately prolonging negotiations that he believes could have reached a decisive stage. He also reiterated that any proposal involving the surrender of Ukrainian territory would be rejected by the public, citing deep national security concerns.
The delegations last met in U.S.-brokered talks in Abu Dhabi in January, which resulted in a prisoner exchange. Zelensky indicated that another exchange may be forthcoming following the Geneva discussions.
U.S. President Donald Trump, who has led diplomatic efforts to end the conflict, has expressed growing frustration with the lack of progress, warning earlier this week that the stalemate cannot continue indefinitely.
Another unresolved issue remains the status of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Europe’s largest nuclear facility, which has been under Russian control since March 2022. Ukraine has called for its return, while Moscow has shown no indication of compromise.
Officials from United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Italy were present in Geneva and held side meetings with Ukrainian representatives. Zelensky emphasized that European involvement is “indispensable” to any lasting peace agreement.
Next Tuesday marks four years since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine. The war has resulted in tens of thousands of military and civilian casualties and the displacement of millions, with daily attacks continuing to affect communities across Ukraine.

